Innovating Energy & Food
The second annual Innovator Summit was held on May 16, 2017. More than 130 participated from across research disciplines and industry, including more than 60 organizations such as AT&T, Coca-Cola, Gates Foundation, Kansas State University, Los Alamos National Laboratory, MIT, NASA, the US Department of Agriculture, and several campuses from the University of California system.
This year’s theme was Food and Energy, with attendees joining in panel discussions on:
- Funding innovation in fields with low margins and long time horizons
- Approaches to optimize system-level inefficiencies in food production and processing
- Ways agricultural producers can balance rising energy costs with the need for safe, sustainable, and affordable products
- Bottlenecks and costs associated with energy use in food processing
- Nutritional and consumer preferences for fresh vs. packaged foods, as well as energy use in markets and restaurants for providing safe and nutritious products.