The Innovation Institute for Food & Health (IIFH) Undergraduate Research Fellowship is an award intended to support undergraduate students performing research with guidance by UC Davis faculty that relates to the mission of the IIFH to catalyze innovation across food, agriculture and health. The IIFH Undergraduate Research Fellowship provides a summer research stipend, funds for for travel and/or research supplies, and includes professional development opportunities and training events related to entrepreneurship.
IIFH undergraduate research fellows will participate in professional development and entrepreneurship training, through workshops and campus events such as the on-campus Entrepreneurship Academy. At the end of the program, the Fellow will be expected to provide a brief report on their research results and impact of their fellowship, and present their work at the annual IIFH Innovator Summit in Spring 2019. Due to the focus on entrepreneurship, this fellowship strongly emphasizes the opportunities for student projects conducting critical experiments or studies or prototyping that may make students competitive for the 2020 BigBang competition at UC Davis (https://gsm.ucdavis.edu/program/detail/big-bang-business-competition). In addition to the fellowship stipend the IIFH will cover costs for fellows to attend the 2020 Food, Ag, and Health Entrepreneurship academy (https://gsm.ucdavis.edu/food-ag-health-entrepreneurship-academy).
To be eligible for this award, students must be:
- A currently enrolled and continuing undergraduate student in good academic standing
- Engaged in undergraduate research under the direction of a UC Davis faculty member
- Participating in research that relates to the mission of the IIFH to catalyze innovation across food, agriculture and health
- Interested in exploring entrepreneurship, e.g. attend an on-campus Entrepreneurship Academy
Benefits for IIFH Research Fellows:
- Receive a summer research stipend of $3500
- Receive $500 for travel, research supplies, etc
- Attend annual IIFH Innovator Summit in Spring 2019
- Participate in the 2020 Food, Ag, and Health Entrepreneurship academy (on-campus)
- Participate in other professional development workshops and training events
How to Apply:
Fill out the application form and upload:
1. As a single PDF (2 pages maximum), an application document that includes the following:
- A no more than one page summary of your research project
- A statement describing how the research relates to the mission of the IIFH to catalyze innovation across food, agriculture and health
- A statement of interest in entrepreneurship and how this fellowship would benefit you
2. Your faculty sponsor’s letter of recommendation (PDF, maximum 2 pages, 12 point font, single spaced)
3. A second letter of recommendation (optional) (PDF, maximum 2 pages, 12 point font, single spaced)
If confidentiality is desired, letters of recommendation can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.